Thursday, October 17, 2013

Discussion

Last week before Fall Break!! I know that most students by this point in time are MORE than ready for a break.  A chance to go home and relax for a few days to power up for the second half of the semester.  And this year is NO exception!  Luckily for me I don't have any midterms to worry about like most students.  I had all of my tests together within two weeks and I'll have the same rotation here in another few weeks.

Today during class though, we got to have a discussion about the current economic situation relating to the furloughed workers, the budget deal, and the federal debt ceiling.  This type of discussion in class was very relevant to what is going on in the world around us and just as, if not more, applicable than what we would have learned during class.  Other Rockhurst classes that I am working with have had a service-learning concept which involves a service project that the students must participate in and then do a presentation or a paper about the project, relating it to classroom lessons.  Between all of the classes we have at Rockhurst, the applicable real-world learning concepts that we are given are more valuable than most classroom learning you are afforded at other universities.

Hope this didn't come across as too "salesy" because that definitely wasn't my intent- just something I've noticed especially most recently!

No comments:

Post a Comment