Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Safety

Rockhurst provides many services for their students, one of which is our Rockhurst Security Department.  The Security department patrols the campus and will handle anything security related throughout and around the campus.  However, many times they are called on for some non-security related assistance around campus.  For instance, security has already visited our house three times in the first week back at Rockhurst, so I'm going to share the many ways in which Security has assisted us.  Keep in mind that this is in addition to the times over the past 3 years I have contacted security for everything from unlocking doors to hooking up technology to a television (darn DVD players in the Party Barn)

Rockhurst Security Office
The first instance was on our very first day back at RU.  As we were all getting ready to leave the house around 6 at night, our gas alarm kept going off- telling us that there was either carbon monoxide or another gas in the house- not good.  So after calling the officers, they arrived at the house, and assisted us to turn it off.  However, yet again the next morning, the alarm continued to go off for several hours- so again the Rockhurst Officers along with the KC Fire Department arrived at our house to make sure there was nothing toxic in the air.  Luckily, the house came out clean, and we have not had problems since.

The second instance was last weekend, again as we were getting ready to leave the house.  Our toilet overflowed and we ended up with gallons of water flowing in our bathroom floor.  It then flooded through to our basement!  With an urgent call to the security office, an officer promptly arrived who helped us stop the flooding and clean up all the water.  What a great way to start the weekend!

The final time security has visited our house was earlier this week.  I woke up in the middle of the night to some terrible noises outside my window.  In my sleep-deprived stupor, I suddenly became worried about what that could be (person, yeti, or dying cat) and called the security office because I was too scared to check myself.  They stayed on the phone with me the entire time while other officers checked all around the house to ease my worry, and thankfully- there was nothing to be found.  (I later heard cats fighting, so my guess is that a cat was scratching on the windows)  But the officers were very understanding and so nice for coming out so late at night just to ease my worry!

Let's hope the remaining weeks of school reveal fewer visits from security, but I'm so glad that we've had such great support from the Security Office in our times of need and worry.

Now on to homework again for the first time in 3 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment